We love semi-homemade treats, and especially this busy time of year they are perfect for those last minute parties and events you and your family will attend. Grab your favorite boxed chocolate cake mix you grabbed for cheap or free with coupons and whip it up to create these Easy Semi-Homemade Peppermint Cupcakes. Nothing goes better together during the cold winter months quite like a little chocolate and mint! These are so yummy and pretty they will surely be a hit wherever you take them!
EASY SEMI-HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT CUPCAKES
- 8 tbsp Butter, Softened
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 tbsp Milk
- ½ tsp Peppermint Extract
- Red Food Coloring (optional)
- Plastic Wrap
- Piping Bag and tip
- With an electric mixer beat butter on low until light and fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, beating well in between each addition.
- Mix in peppermint extract.
- Divide frosting into two separate bowls, and color one bowl with red food coloring.
- Lay a large piece of plastic wrap on the counter, and spoon the white frosting into the center of the plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap over the frosting and twist both of the ends.
- Repeat this process with the red frosting.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a piping tip coupler, slide both bags of frosting down into the tip, pulling them snug. Snip the ends off of the plastic wrap and secure your piping tip.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.
As you can see this is a very simple way to add a fun twist to an already tasty boxed cake mix. I love the simple method listed of using plastic wrap for your icing to help create the “swirl” of the mixed colors. And I can easily see sprinkling crushed peppermints on top for an added flare or even placing a mini candy can on top of these Easy Semi-Homemade Peppermint Cupcakes to make them have a splash of extra color and flavor! Grab the supplies and make these today!
Don’t miss out on all of our great holiday treat ideas in our recipes section!