The last year I have seen numerous posts on Facebook and Pinterest about the joys of roasting cabbage “steaks”. As someone who already loves cabbage, this was nothing new to me. We’ve been roasting, sautéing, grilling and frying cabbage for as far back as I can remember, but it did inspire me to try out different flavors and angles. What resulted was this new family favorite of Curried Roasted Purple Cabbage. Not only is this one of the simplest side dishes you can prepare with just a slice, a drizzle and a sprinkle involved, but it is full of flavor the whole family will love.
CURRIED ROASTED PURPLE CABBAGE
1 Large Purple Cabbage
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olvie Oil
1 Teaspoon Curry Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- Rinse and pat dry outside of cabbage.
- Cut cabbage into 1/4″ thick rounds. (may cut into chunks or halve the cabbage first and cut into slices if easier)
- In small bowl mix together olive oil, curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Place cabbage in single layer on pre-sprayed baking sheet.
- Drizzle both sides lightly with olive oil mixture
- Bake for 7 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven, flip cabbage steaks and return to oven for additional 10 minutes.
We love serving our Curried Roasted Purple Cabbage with a side of brown rice and some grilled chicken or pork chops for a nice tasty meal. The rich dark color is something the kids love, and the bright flavors make everyone want more. If you have a family who just doesn’t care for cabbage, this is a great recipe that isn’t like your normal cabbage dishes. It packs a punch of flavor, great nutrients and low calories with very little prep time. What’s not to love about that?