Do you encourage your children to read? I hope you do! Encouraging our children to read is one of the very best things we can do as parents. With this in mind, we are bringing you some great summer reading tips and some FREE book giveaways! One of our lucky readers will win a set of 3 books for their kids! Here’s the scoop…
Dr. Tim Shanahan, past president of the International Reading Association, and author of Treasures, Macmillan/McGraw-Hill’s best selling elementary reading program, has offered some fabulous summer reading tips for your family! Macmillan/McGraw-Hill has generously offered to give away a series of 3 Treasures books.
Here are Dr. Tim Shanahan’s family reading tips for you:
1. Read Together! Summer usually allows families to spend more time together. This is a great opportunity to read more with your kids to help keep their skills fresh. Children learn a lot when you read to them. Even if your child can read by himself, take turns reading to each other, and be sure to talk about what you are reading. Ask questions, answer questions and explore the ideas together.
2. Share the Experience. As kids get older, help them find books, magazines, or newspaper articles that they would enjoy reading. Take the time to read them too so you can discuss them. The point is to share the reading experience.
3. Ask Questions. Even if you are not reading the same books they are, talk to your children about what they are reading. Ask them questions such as what happened in the story or what might happen next, who is their favorite character, or who is the villain. This builds summarization and recall skills, and your interest helps increase their interest.
4. Designate a Reading Spot. Create a summer reading nook or spot in your home where your child can read. Make sure there is good light and comfortable seating and try to set aside one TV/video-game-free night per week for family reading. Reading night can be a special snack night, too. There is nothing better than reading with a big bowl of popcorn!
6. Mix it up. Don’t just focus on storybooks. Kids often prefer to read about fact rather than fiction, including books and articles about the environment, animals, current events, sports, and other topics. Talk to them about what they like and help them find reading materials that match those interests.
Are you already doing some of this with your children? If not, the time to start is NOW! And to help you get started, we’re giving away a series of 3 readers from the Treasures program to one of YOU!
To find out more about Treasures, visit Macmillan/McGraw-Hill’s Treasures website here. These books are age specific, and the winner will be able to choose the age s/he wants. Please note you must have a valid U.S. address to enter this giveaway.
How to enter this giveaway:
It’s easy, first visit Macmillan/McGraw-Hill’s Treasures website here and look around the site. Then post a comment here on this blog post with a reading tip of your own! Be sure to leave a way we can contact you in case you win! I recommend you leave your email address in the following format, something like: eadflmomma (AT) gmail (DOT) com
The contest will end on Thursday, June 25, at 9 pm Central Time. Any comments after that time will not be counted. We will use random.org to choose the winner. The winner will be announced no later than Friday, June 26. We will contact the winner, and if we do not hear from the winner within 48 hours, we will select a new winner. Good luck, and let’s get reading!!!
Want 6 free bucks? Check this out!