Winter weather always makes us want warm hearty soups for evening meals. This Crock Pot Bean Soup is a great answer to that craving. Not only is it very hearty and filling, but it’s simple to prepare thanks to the use of your slow cooker. The best part for us who are working on being frugal is the inexpensive ingredients making this big pot of soup stretch our dollar even farther this month!
CROCK POT BEAN SOUP
- 32 oz Dried Northern Beans
- 1 lb Bacon
- 2 Onions diced
- 1/2 lb Carrots diced
- 4 stalks Celery diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 cup Water
- 4 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Sort beans and remove any debris or rocks.
- Rinse beans under cold water.
- Fry bacon in skillet till crispy.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Then cook on low for about 6 hours (until beans are tender)
- Remove bay leaf.
This is especially delicious served in a crispy bread bowl or with a side of your favorite corn bread. You can’t go wrong with this Crock Pot Bean Soup! Make a double batch and freeze half for future meals. Just toss the frozen soup right in the crock pot, put it on low and it will be ready to heat and fully thawed and heated through when you get home at night.
Don’t miss out on all of our great winter weather Recipes!