I love the holiday season and making big batches of cute and yummy treats to share with my friends and family. These Peppermint Pinwheels are a great simple way to make what looks like a complicated treat in just a few easy steps. I love recipes like this that are basic simple methods yet the result looks like you have been slaving over your stove for days! Whip up a batch of these yummy cookies for yourself or your next holiday party!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Red food coloring
- White Candy Sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg yolk and peppermint extract.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder and slowly add into wet mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide dough in half and color one half red.
- On a well floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to ¼ inch thick. Place the red dough on top the white dough and roll up tightly like a jelly roll.
- Roll the jelly roll in candy sprinkles and wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into ¼ inch slices. Place on to a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minute.
- Yields: 4 Dozen
What a cute treat to put on your next cookie exchange tray or to pack in your kids lunchbox this holiday season. You could play with crushed peppermint sticks as a coating or even red and white sprinkles as a coating as well. I love that this is so easily adapted to our personality. I think it would even be great if you did 3 layers, one regular, one red and one green for a full holiday effect. Whatever you choose these Peppermint Pinwheels are sure to be a delicious success this year!